Laser Hair Removal
Unwanted hair can be embarrassing, but getting rid of unwanted hair can also cause its own share of problems.
Shaving, waxing, creams, epilators and plucking are conventional hair-removal methods that can cause pain, bumps and even infections, not to mention, these treatments require constant upkeep and can be expensive.
Fortunately for you, there are safe and effective hair-removal options that can help you look great and feel confident in any situation and all types of clothing.
One of these safe and effective hair-removal options is laser hair removal with Dr. Jack Peterson in Topeka.
What Is Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is an increasingly popular cosmetic medical procedure designed to remove unwanted body hair. Laser hair removal uses a concentrated beam of light energy (laser) to remove unwanted body hair.
The laser energy is absorbed by the hair's pigment (melanin). Melanin is what gives your body hair its color.
Once absorbed, the laser's light energy is transformed into heat, which damages the hair follicles (the sacs in which hair grows), preventing or delaying future growth.
Is Laser Hair Removal Effective?
Yes. Laser hair removal is extremely effective in delaying or preventing hair growth for long periods. For some individuals, results are permanent. If hair does grow back, it is usually slow to grow and thinner than before.
Who Can Get Laser Hair Removal?
For years, laser hair removal was only available to individuals with light skin and dark hair; however, laser hair-removal technology has advanced in recent years, making individuals of all skin types suitable candidates for laser hair removal.
Our office uses the Lightsheer Quattro Laser for laser hair removal. This device allows us to treat patients of all skin types and ethnic backgrounds. The Lightsheer Quattro Laser can treat all body areas — from the face to the back to the legs.
Hair Removal for Men
Laser hair removal is not just for women — men can benefit, too! If you're living with unwanted hair on your back, chest or shoulders, and it causes feelings of embarrassment or self-consciousness when you have your shirt off at the pool or with a partner, consider laser hair removal to improve both your appearance and your quality of life.
Many men are choosing laser hair removal to remove unwanted body hair for the same reason women do — it's safe, comfortable and effective!
The Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
The Lightsheer Quattro Laser is also extremely comfortable, fast and effective, allowing you to quickly realize your smooth skin goals with little to no upkeep. Say good-bye to stubble!
Laser hair removal has other benefits, too. Aside from hair removal and smoother skin, laser hair removal:
- Helps to reduce the occurrence of uncomfortable ingrown hair by encouraging your hair to grow straight
- Doesn't cause skin irritation like other hair-removal methods
- Is faster than other hair-removal methods
- Is precise and can target small areas, including the face
- Can be used anywhere on the body except for the eyelashes
- Has minimal side effects
- Is fast and effective
- Is safe and approved by the Food and Drug Administration
Things You Should Know Before Laser Hair Removal
Before your laser hair-removal treatment, Dr. Peterson will go over a few things you need to know about preparing for the procedure, the procedure itself and what to do after your hair-removal treatment.
Here are some general things you need to know about laser hair removal:
- Stay out of the sun. Avoid the sun both before and after your laser hair treatment. If you must go into the sun, we recommend that you apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30.
- Skip self-tanners. We also recommend that you skip self-tanning creams, as they could prevent laser hair removal from targeting unwanted hair effectively.
- Avoid other hair-removal methods. We recommend avoiding plucking, waxing, chemical creams and electrolysis, as these things can disturb or irritate the hair follicle.
- Avoid blood-thinning medications. At your consultation, we recommend that you tell Dr. Peterson about any medicines you take and ask if you need to discontinue taking these medications before your procedure.
- Shaving the treatment area. You will need to trim or shave the treatment area before your laser hair-removal procedure to prevent surface skin damage from burnt hairs. We recommend shaving a day or two before the procedure, not the day of, to avoid unwanted skin irritation.
If you're tired of shaving, plucking, waxing and trying to remove unwanted hair, it's time to consider laser hair-removal treatment. If you're ready to remove that unwanted hair forever, schedule an appointment with Dr. Jack Peterson today to learn more or get started!