If you’re considering plastic surgery, you may spend a lot of time researching the procedure, but how much time have you spent researching your plastic surgery provider? Consultations aren’t just for the surgeon to decide if you’re a candidate, they’re also for you to decide if the surgeon is a candidate for you! Read on to learn why you should use a board-certified and experienced plastic surgeon such as Dr. Jack Peterson.
So You Want Plastic Surgery?
If you are thinking about getting plastic surgery, it’s important to understand that there are many different types of procedures available. There are also different levels of expertise among surgeons. The best way to find out what type of surgery will be right for you is by talking with a qualified plastic surgeon who has experience performing each specific procedure you’re seeking.
Why Are Plastic Surgery Consultations Important?
Your consultation has benefits that are two-fold. First, it gives you the opportunity to both check out your potential surgeon and also learn more about your procedures of interest, if there are other options available and what other options are available to you to help meet your body or face goals. Second, during your consultation, you will get to ask questions and get recommendations for treatment.
What Should I Expect When I Arrive for My Consultation?
When you arrive at your consultation appointment, you should be prepared with all your medical history and current medications. You’ll want to bring copies of any recent photos you’ve taken of yourself (if applicable) as well as any photographs of your desired results. Your doctor will likely take some measurements and ask you some specific questions regarding your appearance concerns.
You may have a particular treatment in mind when you come in, but the provider you are visiting with will evaluate you to make sure you are a good candidate for that particular treatment. Several factors help determine whether you are a good candidate for any plastic surgery procedure; these include:
- Your medical history (including allergies)
- Your current health status
- How long you’ve been thinking about getting the procedure done
- What’s important to you in terms of results
- Previous surgeries you’ve had
- Conditions you have that might affect your ability to undergo surgery
- Medications you take
- Any underlying issues that could be exacerbated by surgery
- Your expectations for the outcome of your surgery
Learning About Your Procedure
During your consultation, your provider will go over how the procedure is performed. You’ll be able to see the equipment used, anesthesia options and incision placement. You may even watch videos of patients undergoing similar procedures. This way, you can make sure that the procedure you choose is right for you.
You will also learn about how to prepare for your treatment and your recovery period, including things like post-operative care, what to wear after your procedure and how to ease back into your normal routine. It’s important to know all these details so you don’t have any surprises after the procedure and ensure positive results.
What Happens During a Plastic Surgery Consultation?
The first thing you’ll do after scheduling a consultation with a plastic surgeon is create a list of questions you want to ask the provider. Some questions to consider asking:
- How long has the doctor been practicing?
- What training did he or she receive?
- Does the doctor specialize in the particular procedure you’re wanting?
- What are the doctor’s credentials? Is he or she board certified?
- How often has he or she performed the procedure you want?
- Is this his/her primary practice?
- Does he/she specialize in one type of procedure over another?
- How long will it take to recover from my procedure?
How to Choose a Plastic Surgeon That’s Right for You
When choosing a plastic surgeon, you should consider factors such as:
Experience. Do you feel comfortable with the doctor? If not, why?
Availability. Will the doctor be able to fit you in at a time that works for you?
Recommendations/referrals. Can the doctor give you a list of referrals from patients who’ve had your same procedure?
Feedback. Talk to your family and friends who have undergone the same procedure. They may have some advice on which providers to visit.
Check out reviews online. Look for information on the doctor’s experience, qualifications and credentials.
What Types of Procedures Does Dr. Peterson Offer?
We offer a wide range of face and body procedures, including:
- Liposuction. This procedure is designed to remove excess fat from specific areas of the body. The most common areas include the abdomen, thighs, hips, buttocks, chin, neck and breasts.
- Rhinoplasty. This procedure reshapes the nose using cartilage grafts taken from other parts of the patient’s body.
- Face-lift. This procedure tightens facial muscles and removes wrinkles. A face-lift is often combined with a brow-lift or eyelid-lift.
- Breast augmentation. This procedure increases breast size by inserting implants under the skin. Implants come in different sizes and shapes, and can be filled with saline or silicone gel.
- Body contouring. This procedure helps eliminate unwanted bulges and sags caused by pregnancy, weight loss, aging or injury.
- Tummy tuck. This procedure can remove and tighten sagging skin around the midsection.
- Eye-lift. This procedure lifts drooping eyebrows and eliminates dark circles around the eyes.
- Botox. This non-surgical treatment is used to relax muscle spasms and smooth lines and wrinkles. It also reduces sweating and causes temporary paralysis of facial muscles to prevent them from making wrinkles.
- Dermal fillers. These products are injected into the face and lips to temporarily add volume and shape.
- Laser treatments. For example, laser resurfacing uses light energy to treat sunspots, acne scars, fine lines and wrinkles.
- Chemical peels. These are performed to improve the appearance of sun spots, age spots, discoloration and roughness.
- Microneedling. This minimally invasive technique is used to stimulate collagen production and increase blood flow to the area being treated.
- Skin care. We recommend our patients use a high-quality moisturizer after any procedure.
- Acne scar removal. This procedure treats acne scars by removing damaged tissue and injecting it with a filler material.
Interested in learning more about our practice and Dr. Peterson? Call us now to schedule your consultation.