As having cosmetic work done becomes less taboo and less of a stereotype thought of as only for women, men are seeking out cosmetic procedures at higher rates. One of the most popular procedures among men is dermal fillers. Dr. Jack Peterson performs dermal filler injections, as well as other cosmetic procedures and plastic surgeries, for both men and women in Topeka and the surrounding area.
Why Are Men Seeking Dermal Fillers?
For the same reasons women do: They want to look good, too, of course! Dermal fillers can help soften rigid or rough features and erase the signs of aging.
Men also like dermal fillers because results are instant and there is little to no downtime associated with the injections. They can also be done quickly (like on your lunch hour), and no one is the wiser.
Where Are Men Getting Injected?
The most popular injection sites for men are around the eyes where crow’s feet form and near the mouth and nose where laugh lines develop.
Dermal fillers can also help fill in areas of lost volume in the face, something that happens to all of us, regardless of gender. It’s a consequence of the aging process that can make your face look sunken in and make you look older than you are.
If you’re having dermal fillers done or you are interested in having dermal fillers done, here are a few things to keep in mind about the procedure:
Recovery Is Fast. In most cases, recovery from dermal fillers takes just 24 to 48 hours, depending on how much filler was used and the type of filler used. While you’re recovering, you won’t need real “down time,” because injections don’t require rest. This means that you can get back to the office and your regular schedule fast.
But, Take It Easy at the Gym. Although dermal filler injections don’t mean you have to sit it out on the bench for weeks while you heal, you will still need to take it easy at the gym for a few days after your appointment. Intense exercise can cause your fillers to move to other areas. Instead of hitting it hard, take a break for a few days or do light exercise like walking. Exercise can also help reduce swelling and bruising.
After-Effects Are Also Minimal. Just like pain and recovery times, the after-effects of dermal fillers such as swelling, redness and bruising are minimal. In some cases, a topical cream may be applied to the injection site before the injection to keep patients comfortable. This cream can help prevent swelling and soreness for some time after the procedure, but if you’re sore afterward, you can take over-the-counter pain relievers to relieve discomfort.
Here are a few tips to help you through your dermal filler recovery:
- Ice packs are a must. Use them intermittently on the injection site to help with swelling, redness or tenderness.
- Use over-the-counter pain relievers like acetaminophen to minimize discomfort or pain after injections.
- Wear sunscreen to protect the treatment area.
- Follow all of Dr. Peterson’s post-procedure instructions.
- Do not scratch, rub or massage the treatment area for at least 24 to 48 hours. These actions could move your filler around unintentionally.
- Do not work out too hard, lift or play extreme sports for at least two days after your injections.
- Do not drink or smoke for at least one day after your injections to reduce bruising, swelling and the risk of complications.
Schedule your dermal filler appointment or consultation with Dr. Peterson today at 785-234-9000.